Join the only industry association that specifically looks after your aquatic business.
What do we do?
We are the only trade association in the UK solely dedicated to protecting and promoting the interests of the aquatic industry. Our objective is to help businesses to keep fully stocked with a wide range of products and fish to sell, and to equip you with helpful deals and information so you can run your business successfully. Our work aims to enhance the reputation of the trade by promoting the benefits derived from it, setting high standards, providing good education and training, and encouraging responsible ownership and enjoyment amongst fish keepers.
Why should you join us?
There’s strength in numbers. Your support is vital to our continued success. Our membership is open to UK businesses involved in the industry* and by joining as a member you’re helping to keep your industry alive:
- We make your voice heard at local, European and even global levels because we represent a broad range of businesses involved in our industry.
- Practical help and information to help you run your business more successfully and be better informed
- Free legal help at the end of a phone line when you need some advice fast
- A free audit of your insurance arrangements to take the hassle out of getting the best cover
- Discounts on our training packages
*Because we are a trade association, membership is only available to businesses involved in the UK aquatic industry. We would encourage any business outside of the UK to consider joining Ornamental Fish International, which represents the industry worldwide, or your own country’s trade association if there is one.
What does membership buy me?
Your membership support helps us to do our work on your behalf, such as:
- Lobbying and challenging UK, European and world bodies/governments to make sure fish, plants, invertebrates, dry goods and medications remain available for sale
- Offering high quality training/qualification packages on fish-keeping for staff and individuals which are recognised by local authorities
- Helping you to keep up-to-date with the latest news that could affect your business through our monthly e-newsletter and the broad range of information on our website
- Seeking to promote high standards of husbandry and welfare within the industry with our Code of Conduct
- Finding deals to help retailers in their business, such as our credit-card machine scheme, dispute resolution service, free legal helpline and insurance broker audits
- Promoting the hobby of fishkeeping through our online videos, social media and work with the press
Where do I sign?
To apply for membership, simply download your relevant industry sector application form and send it back to us.
Please confirm you run your business from a commercial retail premises (shop or store) with appropriate and clearly visible signage indicating the name and nature of your business, where the Valuation Office Agency has issued a letter confirming the requirement for business rates, which serves as a place to display for the public to see and purchase pets and pet related goods, which is open and visible for public scrutiny without appointment.
I wish to apply for OATA membership. The following is required to be sent with this application, A Copy of Your Pet Shop Licence, Public Liability Insurance and a copy of Your Non-Domestic Rates Demand Notice or Letter stating not required, payment of the current fee. Membership of OATA is at the discretion of the OATA Board which will make the final decision. Full voting membership is confirmed once the signed agreement of the code of conduct has been returned to the OATA Office and a membership pack has been sent to you.
Please enrol me as a provisional member of OATA Ltd. The following is required with this application, A Copy of Your Liability Insurance, The Current fee. The Board Reserves the right to request additional information if required, consisting of, Planning Consent, Certificate of WEEE disposal, Registration with HRMC and reference’s from dry goods and live animal suppliers as appropriate. Full voting membership is confirmed once the signed agreement of the code of conduct and the above documents have been returned to the OATA Office, when a membership pack will be sent to you.
- Wholesalers (dry goods), Distributors and Manufacturers application form
- Importers application form
- Breeders and Plant Growers application form
- Vets, Consultants and Colleges
Fill in the form and send it:
- In the post to: OATA (Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association), 1st Floor Office Suite, Wessex House, 40 Station Road, Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13 3JN.
- By fax on 01373 301236