Assistant to the Chief Executive
OATA is a non-profit organisation founded in 1991 to promote and protect the interests of those dealing with the UK ornamental aquatic trade.
We now require an Assistant to the Chief Executive to help in all aspects of our work. We’re looking for a positive and proactive person who is good at collating and digesting information from a wide variety of sources. You’ll need to be a clear and concise report writer and be equally happy to represent our members’ interests at official meetings. You’ll also need a sound knowledge of fish and fish keeping, including detailed knowledge of water chemistry as it applies to fish husbandry (preferably in the ornamental fish sector) and you’ll be keen to share this knowledge with both our members and the industry as a whole.
This full time role will be based in our Westbury office in Wiltshire, with the chance to travel where necessary. The salary is in the range of £20 – 28,000, negotiable depending on experience.
How to apply
Please send a covering letter and current CV to Keith Davenport, Chief Executive, Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association, Wessex House, 40, Station Road, Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13 3JN. Or you can email email@example.com
Closing date: Monday 30 September
No agencies please.
Download Assistant to the Chief Executive job description to print off.
Job Title: Assistant to the Chief Executive
Responsible To: Chief Executive
Location: Westbury, Wiltshire
Key functions and objectives:
As Assistant to the Chief Executive, your role will be to undertake a wide variety of work including information gathering, collation and analysis; report writing; responding to government consultations; producing newsletters; assisting members with technical issues; and developing and delivering extensive distance-learning programmes. In this role, you may be required to work on your own; principally at the Westbury office; at meetings and other events, anywhere nationally or (in time) occasionally overseas.
- Positive and proactive attitude, and adaptability to changing priorities from day to day
- Sound knowledge of fish and fish keeping, including detailed knowledge of water chemistry as it applies to fish husbandry (preferably in the ornamental fish sector)
- Ability to collate and interpret information from technical and non-technical sources on issues that could affect members
- Ability to formulate and present the views of the Aquatic Industry clearly and coherently, both verbally and in writing
Knowledge and experience:
- To have Studied a Biological Science, Marine or Freshwater Biology, Chemistry/Biochemistry or Animal Science to degree or HND level
- Some experience in an aquatic retail outlet/fish farm or similar preferred
- Ability to understand and use statistics
- Familiarity with Word and Excel or the ability to learn these tools
Key duties and tasks:
- To assist the Chief Executive in presenting the views of the Aquatic Industry clearly and coherently, both verbally and in writing. This work may take the form of writing responses, attending meetings, responding to telephone calls or emails.
- Dealing with members’ enquiries either in person or on the phone or in writing.
- Responding to general member correspondence either by letter or email.
- Obtaining information from any appropriate source including the news, trade and scientific press, collating findings and using them, as appropriate, in the work of OATA.
- Assisting the Chief Executive and PR & Marketing Executive in developing communicative media and in promotion of OATA, including trade shows.
- Assisting in preparation of reports at Directors’ Board meetings and active participation and involvement therein.
- Implementing initiatives e.g. developing membership services for aquarium and pond contractors.
- Working as an integral OATA team member alongside other staff at a day to day level, co-operating in discussion and development of strategy, and creative thinking to assist advancement of the Aquatic Industry which OATA represents.